About Me...

I created this blog to share my latest hobby- pictures. Enjoy!

Monday, December 19, 2011

How to Build a Tunnel

I was going to "back blog" since I am so far behind, but I decided to just start with this, since life doesn't stop just to post pictures.

The Lionel Train under the tree has a bit of history (ie- there's a reason I'm so into it right now :). It was brand new in the box, taken from my very much missed mother in laws house- she worked for Lionel for years and had a few trains. We knew she would want them for the grand kids, and finally acquired it last May.

What a fiasco. For those of you who know nothing about trains like myself, it is a PROJECT! After a bit of bickering (to say the least) on our part, Dan and I got it all set up a few hours later. Whistling, smoking, and everything, it was such a victory to get it going!

We (well, I) decided to make it a new Christmas tradition for Blake to collect one new piece for the train every year. This year, we decided on a tunnel. Every train needs a TUNNEL, right?? Well, they don't *sell* tunnels. Only the entrance and exit. Apparently, you have to MAKE them- because I have time for that, right?. Hmmm, that is one project I gave right to my dad.

We took off for up north Saturday morning, and my dad was almost done with the real, authentic tunnel.

THE Train



First you find a log and cut it to size....



Then you spend hours removing the inside....

Let it dry a little over night

Add some sprays....
Make sure it's authentic looking

Bring it home, and test it out

Yep, it works. Took me 10 tries to get this shot. Lots of shutter speed playing around and what not. Blake loves it!

No comments:

Post a Comment